Friday, April 6, 2007

How pathetically shameless can a cop be?

Just listen to this before you answer.

04.04.2007; For easter holidays, I'm on my way home (Thodupuzha, Kerala) from Bangalore in my car with my Friend and his wife. It was around midnight, somewhere close to Dharmapuri when the highway police stopped us for checking. Wanted me to get out of the car, open the boot and show the luggage.
Before the cop could comment i explained to him that the big pack of old clothes kept in the boot belongs to me and has been taken with me to donate to some orphanage in Kerala.
Then a surprising question from the cop: Do u have the bill with you for these cloths?! That was followed by other questions too...

What is this, this, this and this....
This is tool kit, this is the car cover folded and kept in a plastic cover, and this is spare tyre, this is some spare oil...

Do you have anything else in the car other than these?
There is nothing illegal in this car and all what I have inside are either our personal stuff or essential accessories of the car. Nothing else at all... I tried to put a period.

It is clear to me that this guy is gonna make me mad..

Now, let me see the vehicle documents...
I did show him the documents.

Is this your car?
- Yes it is. My name is so and so and this is it written on the RC book.

Where is your photo on the RC book?
- Photo on the RC book?! There is no such practise of attaching owners photo on the RC book, anyway it is there on my DL and here it is, if you want to see.

Now comes the critical part of his 'interrogation'...
Who all are these people in the car?
- My friend and his wife.

You cant take them, this is a white board vehicle which is a private one- not a taxi and you can take your parents and siblings and close relatives in the car; not your friend or anyone else.

I feel like losing my control, but tried my best not to lose my cool.
- Sir, I know this is a private vehicle and it would definitely be me who decide whom to take in this car. I will of course take my friends in this car. Till yesterday there wasn't any low preventing this in India. So if this is a new low just passed in TN.......

hay hay, take out your DL and come with me, I need to charge case. I kept all the documents inside the car, walked out to him and said, if you are done with your checking I am leaving.
No no, you cant leave without paying the check post fee.
- WHAT???

That "WHAT" made the difference.
Another cop walked up to us and asked me to leave and took him away with him.
How can a cop be senseless like that?
Doesn't he know that the people he interact with are not tribal?
Doesn't he know the meaning of the word shame?
Who would he have become if not a cop?

My head was full of questions. We asked among ourself for answers. We talked and laughed so much about this incident.
I have seen cops on road sides threatening and taking money, seen them taking 'coins' from vegetable sellers on roadsides.
But this guy beat them all, finding it difficult to believe that a cop can be pathetically shameless like this.

We salute you officer. You are an asset to our nation.

No comments: